Why you should pick our e-Commerce Solution over Shopify
What is Shopify?
Shopify is a complete e-Commerce solution that allows you to set up an online store to sell your goods. It lets you organize your products, customize your storefront, accept credit card payments, track and respond to orders — all with a few clicks of the mouse.
But what they don't tell you, is the fact that it could cost you well over £3000 a year just to have your website online.
Our e-Commerce Solution can do all of that, for a fraction of the price, also to mention that after the initial payment, it's yours.
Here's a rundown:
Shopify may seem like a great deal at $29/month (£20/month) but that figure does not include the features that you would expect to come with an e-Commerce website, these include:
- Abandoned Cart reminders - you need to upgrade to the Pro plan at $79/month (£54/month)
- Gift Cards - only in the Pro plan
- Sales reports - also only in the Pro plan
Shopify can also take up to 2% of your sales as a transaction fee for any credit card processing if you use your own processor like PayPal. That is in addition to the actual credit card processing fees, which are typically 2.9%. If you are selling £100,000 worth of goods a year, that's an additional £2000/year just to use the processor of your choice.
Shopify has hundreds of apps to add to your store, everything from reward points to third party shipping vendors. But many of those can cost over £100/month to use. The monthly costs of the site can easily go over £1000 before you have even started selling anything.
Here's a quick cost comparison of Shopify vs our DC e-Commerce Essential Solution assuming £100,000 in sales:
DC e-Commerce Essential Solution
- One-off Initial Cost: £2995 (Includes a template of your choice from our wide range of templates to suit every business type)
- Monthly Hosting Cost: (Down to you, you can decide who to host with)
- Transaction Fees: £0 We don't charge, why should we?
- Recurring Yearly Cost after the first year: £0 (The website is yours after you have purchased our package)
- Initial Cost: £150 (A template from their store)
- Monthly Cost: £206 (To get all the base functionality our e-Commerce Essential Package has)
- Transaction Fees: £500
- First Year Cost: £2181
- Recurring Yearly Cost after the first year: £2078
Our DC e-Commerce Essential Solution may seem expensive at first as a one-off payment, but our package is a one off fee. With Shopify you will have to pay each year you have the Shopify website.
We have a handy calculator that will help you get an overall price for our package. It can be found here:
Go to our calculator
I find their approach to our relationship very professional whilst being refreshingly realistic. We now consider them to be part of our teamLee Crowhurst, Technical Director